Sunday 12 January 2014

Heart of Darkness


Chapter 1 (p8)
"At that time there were many blank spaces on the earth, and when I saw one that looked particularly inviting on the map (but they all look that) I would put my finger on it and say, When I grow up I will go there."


Chapter 2 (p55)
"...and I saw a face amongst the leaves on the level with my own, looking at me very fierce and steady; then suddenly, as though a veil had been removed from my eyes, I made out, deep in the tangled gloom, naked breasts, arms, legs, glaring eyes - the bush was swarming with human limbs in movement, glistening, of bronze colour."
Chapter 3 (p72)
"...and there it was, black, dried, sunken, with closed eyelids - a head that seemed to sleep at the top of that pole, and , with the shrunken dry lips showing a narrow white line of  the teeth, was smiling too, smiling continuously at some endless and jocose dream of that eternal slumber."

Here is my entry for the House of Illustration/Folio Society Competition 2014. This year's book was "Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad.

No comments: